Itchy scalp can be very irritating and you are left with no recourse but to endure the itching. There can be many causes for the itchy scalp and you would like to get rid of this itching as soon as possible. There are medicines available to treat itching, but there are homemade treatments as well, which are very effective to cure the itch in your scalp. Know how? Read some very useful tips below, and as based from my experience, and you'll find out!
Getting Rid of Itchy Scalp
- Usage of wrong hair care products is the foremost reason for drying scalp. So, the best way to get rid of the dryness would be to change the products. Get a mild shampoo or conditioner. A moisturizing shampoo would also be a good option to explore.
- Some people indulge in regular shampooing. If
you are one among those, it is best advisable to cut down your
frequency of shampooing. Too much of shampooing strips the scalp of
natural oils, thereby causing dryness and itchiness.
- At the time of washing your hair, make sure
you use lukewarm water. Cold water strips the natural oils from the
scalp that help keep it from drying out.
- Dehydration is one of the leading causes for
dryness and itchiness. Thus, it is best advisable to drink 8 oz. glasses
of water every day.
- Rising stress levels can also lead to the
problem of dryness and itchiness. So, the best bet would be to intake
vitamin E and B supplements. These would help reduce the production of
stress hormones, thereby lessening the problem.
- Rosemary has been found beneficial in
treating dry itchy scalp. You can consume the herb by adding it in the
food you prepare. For those who are not too fond of its taste, applying
rosemary oil on the scalp would be a next best thing. Mix it with a
little bit of olive oil before applying to the scalp. Leave the oil
overnight and wash your hair the next morning. The dryness and the
itching would surely be gone.
- Another good way to deal with dry itchy scalp
would be by using vinegar. After rinsing your hair with a mild shampoo,
wash it with a water and vinegar mixture. To prepare this mixture you
need to mix 1 cup of vinegar in 3 cups of cool water.
- Massaging your scalp with tea tree oil has
been found effective in getting rid of dryness and itchiness. All you
need to do is apply the tea tree oil in the scalp and leave it for 15
minutes before rinsing your hair.
- Having a balanced diet is crucial to maintain the healthy being of your scalp. Do not binge on food containing animal fat or unsaturated vegetable oils. Chocolates, nuts, and foods containing iodized salt should also be avoided. A diet including green leafy vegetables, fish and chicken would be a perfect one.
- Do not scratch should be the mantra for those
facing the problem of dry and itchy scalp. Remember, you may feel the
urge to scratch but scratching would only worsen your problem.
- Another precautionary measure to prevent
worsening the problem would be trim the nails and keep them neat and
clean. This would help you avoid occurrence of any kind of infection.
- The kind of hair brush you use is also a matter of concern. Make sure you treat your hair with a clean and soft bristle hairbrush. It would help promote blood flow and also spread natural oils to alleviate the problem.